Fr. Anthony M. Coniaris has served at St. Mary’s Greek Orthodox Church in Minneapolis, MN, since 1948. Ordained a Deacon in 1950 and a Priest in 1953, he is a native of Boston, MA, where he graduated from the Boston Latin School. He is a graduate of the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Theological Seminary in Brookline, MA (Bachelor of Theology), as well as the Northwestern Theological Seminary in Minneapolis (which has since merged with Luther Seminary). He has attended post-graduate studies in the field of religion and psychiatry at the University of Minnesota and at St. John’s University in Collegeville, MN. Fr. Coniaris served on the Council of Religious Advisors at the University of Minnesota.
He is Past President of the Minneapolis Ministerial Association, the Twin Cities Metropolitan Church Commission, the Minneapolis Professional Men’s Club, the Minneapolis Kiwanis, and the Greater Minneapolis Council of Churches. He was a member of the Board of the Children’s Heart Fund and is listed in WHO’S WHO IN RELIGION 1976-77. Author of several books, he received the Three Hierarchs Medal for outstanding service from Holy Cross School of Theology.
Born in 1926, he retired in January 1993 after serving St. Mary’s for 44 years. He is currently President of Light and Life Publishing Company and has served on the Standing Committee of Liturgical Translations of the Archdiocese. He also served as Adjunct Professor of the Homiletics at Holy Cross Seminary.
During his priesthood at St. Mary’s, he worked through the local Philoptochos chapter to bring close to 100 Greek children to Minneapolis for open-heart surgery at the University of Minnesota under Dr. Lilihei. This was accomplished with the assistance of Social Service Department of the Archdiocese of Athens and the Children’s Heart Fund of Minnesota. He helped establish the St. John Chysostom Lecture series at Holy Cross Seminary, which funds an annual lectureship series on effective preaching.
During his pastorate at St. Mary’s, he led the congregation in building a magnificent church, school building, and social hall in 1956-57 on one of the most prestigious city sites, overlooking beautiful Lake Calhoun. The complex was enlarged with an additional building in 1972. A scholarship has been established at Holy Cross Seminary in the names of Fr. Anthony and Presbytera Mary Coniaris to assist needy students. Fr. Coniaris served for several years on the Archdiocese Board and Missions as well as on the Presbyter’s Council.